Basic Sea Kayaking I
This all-day class will introduce you to the basic skills necessary to paddle
efficiently, be safe, and have fun in a closed-deck (“sit-inside”) sea
kayak. Our 4:1 student/instructor ratio is among the lowest in the Bay
Area for an introductory class and ensures that you receive plenty of
Who is this class for?
- Anyone who has never been in a sea kayak and are curious about
- People who have kayaked some but have not yet had formal
- Paddlers who are looking to transition from recreational or
sit-on-top kayaks to closed-deck sea kayaks.
- People wanting to rent closed-deck kayaks from local outfitters.
What is covered in this class?
- An orientation to the equipment, including basic kayaking
terminology, boat and paddle design, paddling clothing, and getting
properly fitted into a kayak.
- Basic strokes, including efficient forward and reverse paddling
- Maintaining balance in the kayak, tilting the boat on edge to
enhance turning, and bracing to recover from an off-balance
- Rescues and recoveries, or what do to in the event of a capsize.
Assisting a fellow paddler with getting back in the kayak, being
assisted, and performing a solo recovery.
- A short paddle in protected water to put your newly-learned
skills into practice!
What is provided in the class?
- Sea kayak and paddle
- Wetsuit and paddling jacket
- Personal floatation device
- Bilge pump and paddle float (for practicing recoveries)
What do I need to bring?
- Swimsuit or shorts
- Long-sleeve fleece shirt (synthetic or wool, no cotton)
- Shoes that can get wet (neoprene booties, water shoes, old tennis
- Lunch, snacks, drinking water, sunscreen, and towel
- Strap for eyeglasses ("chums" or "croakies")
- Optional: hat, waterproof camera
- After successful completion of BSK I, you'll receive a card that
qualifies you to rent closed-deck kayaks from most Bay Area
- You may want to check out the local sea kayaking clubs to find
people to paddle with:
Sea Kayakers and
Bay Area Sea Kayakers.
- The next class in our Foundation Series is
Basic Sea Kayaking II, which
delves into more advanced strokes and edging and may give you your
first taste of open ocean paddling.
- Our Bracing and
Sculling clinic gives you the opportunity to expand on the
bracing skills covered in BSK I in the comfort of a heated pool.
Ready to sign up?